One of the most widely used content management systems (CMS) is WordPress. Although it is a very secure platform, it is also one of the most hacked; on average 30,000 new websites suffer these attacks daily. This is because a plugin is vulnerable or passwords are weak. What is a plugin?
A plugin is a program that complements the functions of web applications and their programs. When installed, the software acquires new features.
Now, when creating a site or a web page, we must protect it, something similar to buying insurance. And that’s what the security plugin is for.
But do you know which are the most effective to protect your website in WordPress?
Let’s see below 5 of the best.
1. iThemes Security
- It has more than 30 possibilities to protect your websites such as avoiding hacks and intruders. It recognizes outdated software and the use of low-security passwords.
- In its free version, it includes the basic security measures, so it is advisable to bet on its Pro version that has an average cost of $ 80 (annual dollars). With this plan, you’ll get plugin upgrades and technical support for two websites.
- What else can you get with iThemes Security?
- It works to protect your site from most attacks by automatically blocking any intruders or detecting suspicious activity on the site.
- It offers several enhancement filters for user security, such as strict password requirements and two-factor authentication. These measures reduce the chance that an account could be hacked.
- It blocks malicious bots and reduces spam through the reCaptcha feature, as it uses advanced risk analysis techniques to differentiate bots from humans.
- Perform actions to protect your site, automatically blocking users who are trying to damage the site, prohibit user agents and IP addresses.
2. Wordfence Security
- This is one of the most popular plugin. It contains powerful protection tools from the beginning of the session and incident recovery tools and at the same time it is very simple. Among its best qualities is that it gets information from general traffic and about hacking attempts.
- It has a firewall and a malware scanner to protect WordPress. It is complemented by WP 2FA that activates the identification of two factors for the user. It is very easy to use and has a wizard that provides the instructions clearly to be able to configure it.
- It has a malware scanner that checks for core files, incorrect URLs, SEO spam, code injections, and malicious redirection.
- It alerts you to potential security issues and looks for known vulnerabilities by giving you a warning.
- Scan the contents of files, posts, and comments for URLs that may be suspicious or dangerous.
- It has a CAPTCHA login page that blocks access to bots.
- Like any software, it also has a Premium version that has a cost of $ 99 (dollars) per year that offers greater security tools. Learn more about this plugin by following this link.
3. Sucuri security: one of the most recommended plugin
- Protect your website against malicious code and prevent hacking with its Web Firewall (WAF) application.
- Stop malicious behavior by discovering new vulnerabilities every day.
- Mitigates DDoS (distributed denial of service attacks) through layers 3, 4, and 7.
- It allows a list of IP addresses that guarantee that only your computer can access the administrative areas of the site. Restricts admin panels so that malicious users don’t have access.
- More layers of protection can be added to sensitive pages by enabling this feature, adding CAPTCHA passwords, WP 2FA, and IP permission lists.
- You can do a blocking of countries that carry out attacks on websites. With a click, you can choose which ones you want to block.
4. All in One WP Security & Firewall
- It has a blacklist tool where you can set blocking requirements for a user.
- You can back up .htacces and wp-config files and an option to restore them if something went wrong.
- It features charts that show the strength of the site and other areas. This feature allows you to visualize what is happening with the security of the site.
- Its interface is simple and in its free mode, it is one of the most complete plugins.
- It is a good option for small websites in its free mode.
- In premium plans the benefits are greater: you can get security scans, backups and spam protection.
- Has inactivity monitoring
- Plugin updates are through Jetpack administration.
- With this plugin, it is not required to have others, as it has the function of marketing via electronic mail, personalization of the website and social networks. Learn more about this plugin by clicking here.
Why reinforce a security plugin in WordPress?
Although WordPress has security measures on its own, they do not compare when implementing more advanced plugins and offer extensive security.
Some of the WordPress plugins offer several of the security points as do other software, such as inactivity monitoring, malware analysis, brute force protection, and security threat notifications.
But these measures are worth reinforcing, as they are not 100% hacker-proof.
Which of these plugins do you consider the best for your website? Let us know with your comments.
You may also like: